- 6 to 8 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (1 large bunch)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 pounds boneless top or inside round of beef, or sirloin tip
- 1 cup water
- Combine garlic, thyme, olive oil, salt, pepper, and vinegar to make a rough paste. Rub onto all sides of the roast. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove meat from the refrigerator 1 hour before roasting.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place beef into a roasting pan fitted with a rack. Sprinkle with additional coarse salt and pepper.
- Roast, uncovered, 2 hours (15 minutes per pound for medium rare), or until a meat thermometer reaches 125F. About halfway through the cooking time, rotate the roast in the oven. Add water to pan bottom to keep the juices from getting too browned.
- Remove from oven and loosely tent with foil. Let rest 20 minutes before carving.
- Deglaze the bottom of the roasting pan with additional water, if needed, to get all the savory drippings. Serves 30.
Serve with Horseradish Mousse
and small dinner rolls.
—Recipe courtesy of Nancy Vienneau and Third Thursday Potluck
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: